Tuesday 7 May 2013

Appointment Annoyance Part 2 (05/07/13)


Deb and I took time off work this morning to go to our first prenatal appointment with our family doctor, who was supposed to do the Pap test and pelvic exam, per his instructions.  It was because of the Pap/pelvic exam we had to book during the day so a nurse would be there to assist or whatever it is they need to do when you have a male doctor.  We got there, and he didn’t do that exam.  He figured the OBGYN office would do it.  They took my weight and height; the doctor asked a bunch of questions and took my blood pressure.  That was it.  Once again I was mad.  All of this could have been done in the previous appointment; or in an evening/weekend appointment.

The receptionist then gave me a bunch of requisitions for ultrasounds and blood work to be done between 9-11 weeks pregnant.  Once those results come in then I go back for the second prenatal appointment to go over results then they will refer me to a maternity clinic, because per the nurse, I am not high risk due to IUI, but the doctor doesn’t agree.  I tried to state that I was high risk due to my weight, should I be seeing an OBGYN sooner she said no, it is the doctor’s call.  I also tried to mention that I probably won’t qualify for a maternity clinic low risk referral, she didn’t comment on that.  Another wasted appointment, other than picking up my paperwork for three weeks or so from now, and to show I’m all ready gaining weight.  I asked if we needed to get the beta tests done and they said I can if I want, so they gave a requisition for that in case I want to go before my blood work between 9-11 weeks.

While in the appointment I asked about the spotting I had yesterday, and he said “If a miscarriage is happening, there is nothing they can do.  If the bleeding gets a lot worse, go to the hospital.”

This morning I was fed up to no end.  I woke up with a throbbing tooth, a major sore throat (I caught Deb’s cold) and just feeling pregnant tired.  After this appointment I was once again disappointed with the process.  

2 comments:

  1. How frustrating! Hopefully things will get better once you're under someone else's care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doctor sounds stressful. Hopefully things will change and you can soar through this pregnancy with less stress. Well, only baby stress. We were blessed with a wonderful experience here in Saskatoon. All of the doctors were awesome! Baby spent 6 days in NICU and everyone was so great with 2 moms and 1 dad. They had never seen or experienced that so we had tons of questions asked. It was great to educate. :)

    ReplyDelete