Thursday 9 May 2013

Six Weeks Today (05/08/13)

This marks the six weeks of being pregnant, although the frame where egg meets sperm is a few weeks less than that.  So far I have been feeling a bit pregnant but nothing extreme.  In the afternoons I get a slight wave of nausea, my moods have been a little elevated, my breasts are fairly tender (and I’m trying to debate if they are bigger or not), random complete exhaustion at any given moment, and I stress at every cramp in the general vicinity of my uterus.  Every now and then (three times so far) I’ve noticed spotting.  This is the reason I obsess over every cramp.  Two of the times spotting can be slightly explained, but the one on Monday as mentioned during my appointment annoyance, was a bit different.  However it did ease off, and didn’t persist, so I’m trying to just let it be. 

It is now hitting the weight gain isn’t going to go like it should in my head.  In part of my personal persuasion to get knocked up, I had convinced myself that I would be able to not gain too much weight, even maybe keep my current weight by gaining baby, but losing butt/thighs.  But I can all ready see some gain in my face which isn’t a good sign for the vision in my head.  It does give me extra motivation for working out though, but not going too hard.  I have been slack in the exercise department lately.  Between taking it easy to make sure the bean sticks, getting over a cold at the same time (only to get it again slightly arg) being exhausted at most times and Deb being sick, we haven’t been getting any workouts in.  That is trying to change though.  So far I try and get out at lunch again for a little walk.  I am making a stronger attempt to make time for a workout in the evenings.  I am getting concerned I will only be able to wear yoga pants, as Plus Plus size maternity wear seems to be in short supply.

This week babycenter.com tells me

How your baby's growing:
This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil.

I’ve tried to look up specific foods to help with developing mouths, ears, and noses, but nothing came up specifically.  Overall we are trying to eat a lot of vegetables to make sure we are getting a variety of required nutrients. 

Apparently onions help with lung function, so I will try to include extra onions in our dinners to assist with baby developing lungs; however onions are a pretty regular addition to our dinners. 

In our hopes of creating a tall nerd we are trying to include more walnuts in our diet.  Mostly sneaking them into a homemade slaw containing dole bagged slaw, light miracle whip, raisins, and you guessed it, walnuts, it is a great combination.  Upon looking further into the benefits of walnuts I discovered that there are quite a few foods that are good for your brain, some of which I don’t see me eating in a million years (sardines, yuck), but some surprising ones like, sage, oats, flaxseed, and eggs.  I think I will try and incorporate more of these foods where I can. 



4 comments:

  1. You look great girl! Not sure if you like oatmeal but for breakfast I mix up a great powerful baby helping oatmeal. I mix my fav kind of yogurt, nuts, fruit and flaxseed in it with just a touch of brown sugar! Sending you sticky vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    As far as breakfasts we switch weeks of 12 grain toast with cream cheese and strawberries, or Apple sauce oatmeal, which is made with whole oats, water/milk, crab apple sauce and some custard tofu for extra protein. Maybe next time we'll include some flax seed for nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the spotting eases up (if for no other reason than providing some peace of mind) and that you're able to get into a groove of eating healthy meals and snacks and getting some exercise in. :) Ashleigh at 2moms2dog2babies is a nutritionist and might be willing to give you some healthy-eating-in-pregnancy tips if you send her a message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my wife was pregnant she really struggled with her weight gain in the beginning. It was hard on our daily life but after a conversation, she made it okay in her head that she would gain weight no matter what. I mean, when you're pregnant, it's okay to let it happen. Just don't go overboard. And she didn't. She gained a total of about 25-27 pounds, which is pretty good considering so many people we know gained 60+ pounds during their first pregnancy. So don't be too hard on yourself. You will retain water as well so take that into consideration.

    And as for spotting, Rhonda spotted quite a bit in the beginning as well. It was stressful but it never got to the point where we really panicked. Use your best judgment and get to a doctor if you really feel something could be wrong. You know you best! Good luck, relax and breathe. It's so worth the little being at the end.

    ReplyDelete