Wednesday 15 January 2014

Formula issues (01/15/14)

Breast is best, that is always the case, but it seems my breasts, just can’t quite keep up with Spencer’s needs.  Just as my supply catches up to what he needs it seems he goes through a spurt and needs more.  Plus if I miss drinking enough water in a day, my supply dwindles for the next two.  It is a huge balance to try and keep up the pace for breastfeeding.  I’m not giving up though. 


With that being said we have been supplementing with formula.  Originally we were using Similac Advantage, which is what the hospital supplied to make sure he was getting enough.  With signing up for Similac for coupons and samples, they also shipped a small container of this which we used up first.  Once that was done we used up the other formula they supplied which was another advantage version, with the switch there was a bit of tummy trouble with Spencer, but we managed.  However once the free samples ran out, we purchased the next version.  The standard Iron fortified Similac formula.  It seems Spencer has the same issues with iron supplements as I do.  His poop schedule was reduced drastically, which in turn caused a disgruntled baby.  This change of formula also happened with a growth spurt which caused him to have a larger ratio of formula than breast milk, which I’m sure compounded the issue.  Yesterday I made a point to try and have more breast milk available and direct feeding than formula, we also went and purchased the Advantage formula he was used to.  We had a major blow out before bed/bath, twice, and it seems things are getting better.  Last night he was a happier baby, longer sleep turns, and less grunting issues.  Now hopefully my milk supply picks up, as it seems to be dwindling again.  Breastfeeding is a pain, but worth it for baby’s brain and tummy, and mom’s wallet.  

Lesson learned though, pick a formula and stick with it, if it works, as changing up a diet is hard on new tummies.  

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the breastfeeding isn't going as easily as one would have hoped. Sounds like you're doing a good job of meeting your little guy's need regardless. They don't come with instruction manuals, so you just have to figure it out for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have to stop breastfeeding, please don't feel bad. We went through the same thing with Brielle and she grew up just fine. Rhonda never could produce enough milk for her and along with pumping and formula feeding, she felt like she just couldn't enjoy Brielle as much as if she just stopped the stress of it all and we just simply switched to one method. Not saying this is the route you should take, but if you choose, don't let it bother you. You are being a good mom no matter what your decision. Here is a post I did on formula. We ended up using Kirklands from Costco and loved it!! They have sales and now I see they also have a sensitive tummy formula. http://boilthewater.blogspot.ca/2012/08/food-for-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to continue breastfeeding as much as I can, even if most of it is pumped first. But I'm trying to put him on the breast more. We'll see how it goes. I've been doing better than most women in my family, as I've found out. My mom didn't due to crohn's, my sister gave up very quickly, and my auntie wasn't able to either. But I'm fighting against thyroid issues, crohns and general weight issues that can interfere with breastfeeding, and if I can't breastfeed long term, I'll keep going the best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never feel guilty about having to choose the bottle over the breast! Sometimes it just doesn't happen like we envision it. Always do what's best for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete