Wednesday 15 January 2014

Three week fog (01/13/14)

Well the first month is coming to a rapid end.  Where has the time gone?  Slowly I feel I’m getting things back to normal, as much as can be expected.  I’m starting to get motivation back to get things done, other than the basics of kitchen cleaning, cooking, and of course baby care.  It seems the three week fog is starting to lift. 

Last night Spencer was AWAKE from 2:30 to 5:00.  So I was in the nursery trying to get him back to sleep for a long time, doing extra feeding, then I gave up and put the mobile in his crib on and propped him in there with the other nursing pillow while I pumped for the next feeding; which he ended up eating before we went to bed.  Luckily after that feeding he passed out.  I was tired to say the least.  He also woke up at 7:30 to feed again.  It seemed yesterday was a growth spurt.  We couldn’t quite feed him enough, about every 90 minutes he was hungry again. 

This morning he slightly woke up at 9:30, but I wasn’t ready to get up yet, so I cuddled with him in bed, in a mild sleep.  At 11:00 he woke me up and I was much more refreshed. 

Today he hasn’t been feeling as well.  I tried to feed him from the breast, but it wasn’t coming out fast enough for him, so I made some formula, as I hadn’t had a chance to pump any more.    He drank most of it, and I burped him a little bit during.  However, near the end, it all came back up in a few spews.  So I have been cuddling him most of the day.  Since then he has had some from the breast and some formula, after his last feed, he was a bit fussy, but then I stopped trying to burp him and he passed right out.  It is interesting getting used to everything changing at the drop of a hat, no form of schedule, even if we try.

Two products that I’m surprised I have really liked, first one is a wipes warmer.  When my friend Mir originally got it for us, Deb and I both raised an eye brow, as if to say, not needed and might not use.  But for night time changes it is nice on Spencer’s bum to not have the cold shock on his skin.  We even considered getting a second one for the main floor, but decided we didn’t need to.  The other is one we just got; a bottle warmer.  Before now, we thought that was such a waste, but after having to heat bottles, not using a microwave, the amount of water we wasted getting to hot water, then to really hot water to put in the basin to heat formula or expressed milk from the fridge was getting extreme.  Now just 7 ml goes into the warmer, and in about the time it takes us to get really hot water from the tap the bottle is heated to a perfect temperature. 

Over the weekend Spencer had his first trip to the zoo.  We went there with Deb’s visiting friends from Ontario.  He slept through most of it, but he did well in the stroller/car seat.  It was a lot of fun to wander around and get some fresh air.  It did us some good too.  It was the most steps I have had in a day in a LONG time. 






After the zoo we went for dinner with our fertility friends, the owner of the clinic that specializes in fertility assistance with Chiro, massage, and acupuncture and various other alternative healing methods.  We are thankful that during the prep of the trying to get pregnant that her clinic was available and I’m sure helped with getting pregnant.  We had dinner at Montana’s.  Spencer did fairly well and slept mostly with some visiting time as well.  


3 comments:

  1. The schedule takes a while to develop. Hopefully he'll quit with the long mid-night wake ups quickly though. Those take a toll. Glad things seem to be going well otherwise. Getting out with a newborn is quite a feat! Well done mommies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Getting out of the house takes a lot longer than before, but other than that he travels very well, so that is helpful in getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way at first but now I love our wipe warmer! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete