Tuesday 4 March 2014

Torticollis (03/04/14)

First I would like to note, Spencer’s weekly photos are now posted on a page at the top of the blog to see his growth.  Oh how time flies and sleepers and onesies get retired to the too small bin. 

Next up is to update you on Spencer’s lump in his neck.  Last week I got a call from a physiotherapist regarding a referral she got for Spencer.  Hm, I was unaware he was getting a referral for his neck.  She went on to explain how he should probably get physio, and I didn’t object, I just didn’t know we were getting a referral.  To our knowledge the lump would “resolve itself in about a year.”  I guess yes it will, but only with some help.  The ultrasound doctor did the referral. 

Yesterday we had our first physio appointment.  The therapist went over what the problem actually is.  It is called torticollis.  She said that some people say they have that, but it is only a slight muscle flexion.  Because Spencer has the lump he has true torticollis.  In my opinion, the lump on his neck is much smaller from when we originally found it, which I hope is a good thing. 

To get rid of it properly, we need to work on strengthening and stretching.  The stretching is heart wrenching to do to him.  I need to have my hand on his right shoulder, then have my right forearm beside him and pull his head towards his left shoulder.  I need to hold this position for 30 seconds.  Spencer tells me that he doesn’t like doing that.  We need to work into being able to do that twice in a row, and 4-6 times a day. He hollers while doing it and when I pick him up afterwards he has the heart pulling sob that is a whimper of pain with sniffling cries. 

On top of that we need to work on his head turning from side to side, as well as adjust the way we carry him to make sure his right side is down so he is prone to use his left side muscles to strengthen them. 

The good news is we caught this fairly early.  Trying to do the stretches with an 8 Month old is a LOT harder apparently.  So that is what I try to explain to Spencer before and after we do the stretches.  Here’s to hoping this clears up quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment