Thursday 9 August 2012

#103 Choosing Sperm (08/09/12)

Now that we have our parameters for sperm I decided to put together a reduced list of our options, based on open identity, and my wife’s desire to have a sperm donor over 6’ tall, and Negative CMV donor, and my preference for blue or green eyes with a decent medical history.  I just didn’t realize how restrictive that would be, of all available donors in Canada (Canada has a restriction that donors must NOT be paid for their services, which rules out a lot of donors from US sperm banks). 

The temporary short list of donors is about 16.  That is a very short list, and we haven’t seen any photos yet as that might rule out a bunch more and medical history isn’t known yet as we haven’t subscribed to look at detailed profiles either.  This put a large worry on me that we will be “settling” for sperm.  I have enough bad health traits that I will be passing on, I hope to give my children the best possible chance by giving healthy sperm that is of desired traits.  We are sperm snobs and very picky.  This is a stressful decision.   I didn’t think we would be so limited, I thought it would be hard to get a “short” list of options.  I don’t want either of us to settle, let’s hope this short list provides something that is perfect for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment