Wednesday 8 August 2012

#93 A Selfish Moment (07/11/12)

Today and yesterday I’ve been going through my wife and my finances.  I’ve been planning for future expenses, and paying down debt, the cost of getting pregnant, and baby expenses, plus planning for reduced income while on maternity leave.  For these costs and being at $0 consumer debt by the time baby is born, it is possible. 

Now here comes the selfish moment.  Before baby arrives, I want a vacation, a true sit on the beach, relax have a few drinks, swim no worries vacation, or a cruise, but same concept.  Ideally a beach vacation would be nice anywhere from late November to late January.  However we are planning to try and get pregnant, around the end of September.  Going on vacation during morning sickness is not my idea of a good time.  So that leaves, either go in September before I get pregnant or delaying pregnancy.  In addition to that dilemma the cost of said vacation, to achieve the above goals, (unless delaying pregnancy) that is not feasible. 

Part of the reason we are looking to get pregnant sooner than later is the grandma factor.  My grandma is 90 years old.  If health permitting she mentioned she would fly over to Canada from England for the birth of my baby.  That would be a huge honor.  With her being 91, time is kind of in the essence. 

The reason I would like a vacation before pregnancy is this fact, once baby arrives, my wife and I will no longer have the option to vacation alone, for about 20 years.  Maybe we would be able to get a weekend alone for a mini vacation solo.  We do plan on vacationing once kids arrive, but financially and reasonably that wouldn’t be until baby is about 1-2 years old.  Even at 1 year, I’m looking at 2-3 years before another chance to go to Mexico, or cruise etc. 

Being a mother is something I’m looking forward to.  When we were planning 2012 this was supposed to be our relax year to just have an “us” year.  Well, that went out the window.  The beginning of this year we were still organizing the new house, we did get to real Vegas in February though.  That was a go, go, go vacation, not quite relaxing, but a lot of fun.  Then we had the stress of trying to get the house next door for my MIL, and my wife quitting smoking.  Then we did get the house, so that put panic into clearing out MIL’s old house of years of stuff and plants, and fixing what needed to be fixed, in order to get the house staged and on the market.  Directly after the house went on the market, we go the house next door.  In case you haven’t read my blog, it was a Hoarder’s house.  It was in complete disarray.  We have been working very hard ever since, cleaning it out and fixing what needed to be fixed and cleaning it.  Even though it feels like we have been doing this section for a long time it has only been two weeks.  The other house, we were working on for about a month before that, to a varying degree.  We will be doing the cleaning, painting and then moving the old house contents to new house until August 1st.  It is going to be a crazy month. 

In August we may be able to relax a bit, but that is when fertility appointments will gear up a little.  Then if the stars align perfectly, I will get pregnant.  So, September would be the month for a vacation.  Before I met my wife, my life was mellow, so to speak, other than the crazy of ex husband.  I didn’t do much, I watched TV at night, I worked in the days, and I relaxed on weekends.  Those days are long gone.  For the better, don’t get me wrong, I love my life and appreciate my life.  I just wish it wasn’t so crazy all the time.  This brings me to the vacation part.  I feel we both have been working our butts off, and deserve and long overdue, do nothing but appreciate nature vacation.  This will allow us to unwind a bit, stave off a nervous breakdown, which I am a little prone to meltdowns.  Then we will be calm and ready to get pregnant and start the next cycle of crazy busy being pregnant and early stages of motherhood. 

Am I being selfish saying “I need a vacation before pregnancy, or during?”  I mean we did get a vacation early this year.  Some people don’t get one vacation a year, never mind two.  Should I just be grateful for the one I had, and the bundle of joy I will be getting, and the prospect of my grandma being there for the birth of my child? 

Maybe, I’m just overworked at this point and will feel better after mid/late August, once I get our household cleaning back into order and general errands caught up enough to be able to relax in a clean home, without a daunting to do list hanging over my head.  

No comments:

Post a Comment